Shadow Internet takes your privacy seriously. We only collect information required in order to operate the service.Updated 2022-04-02
Information we collect about our customers
The name, address, and email address of subscribed clients and client leads. We use this information to:
- Send bills
- Send information on updates to the service
- Know the location of the service for installation/technical support
We may optionally take the clients phone number in order to help verify support requests that are called in.
We may take photos of the installation of our equipment on customer's property:
- Provides proof of installation, and what equipment was installed
- To aid in locating any lines that were buried/installed on customer property for dig requests
- Help troubleshooting without having to send a crew out
The public IP addresses of our customer's router to:
- Track any abuse/misuse. See Internet Services Agreement [PDF] for more information
We never associate traffic on our network with a specific customer. We may, however, view aggregated, anonymized traffic reports to identifiy bottlenecks or other issues in our network to improve the service. This includes: DNS requests, destination domain, destination ip address, or destination ASN.
Aggregated, anonymized statistics are stored indefinitely to view trends in data usage and to plan future capacity upgrades.
Data consumed. We record when each internet connection is being used including data rate (in Mbps) and timestamp over the period of a day. We also record the amount of data used per day and per month in gigabytes.
We may record the following information as part of our managed WiFi service:
- Hostname, and MAC address of device connecting to the WiFi network
- Timestamps of when a device connected and disconnected
- Signal strength of a device to the nearest access point
- Data usage of a device over a period of time
- Password for the WiFi network
This information is stored for up to 1 year to aid in WiFi troubleshooting.
We may record the IP address of visitors to our site in order to:
- Prevent abuse of our site (blocking malicious users)
- Collect information about the number of visitors our site gets
We do not use any third party tracking scripts.
We do not share customer data with third parties other than those listed below:
- Stripe - securely processes credit card payments on our behalf
- DigitalOcean - cloud server hosting company that hosts our websites
- Cloudflare - provides web hosting, and firewall services for our websites
- Google - to host our @shadowinternet.ca email addresses, reCaptcha services, and Google Maps
- AWS - to send automated emails from our billing system and email login codes
- MNP - financials and accounting
If you are no longer a customer and would like to have your information deleted from our system, or would like a copy of information related to your account, contact the Privacy contact below. Requests may take several days to process. Some information may need to be retained for accounting purposes, such as invoices.